Tablet Android Upgrade Instructions
Samsung has released a new version of the Android operating system that runs on your tablets (similar to how Windows runs your computer). This is something that we cannot control and the update will automatically get sent to your Tablets so we have provided step by step instructions to follow so that your tablets get upgraded correctly and the Field Link application will still work properly.
Your tablets can be in 1 of 3 states which will determine where in the instructions you should start:
- Android update not downloaded and not installed
- Android update downloaded, but not installed
- Android update downloaded, installed, but Jelly Bean Keyboard not installed.
Here are simple steps to check which state you are in:
Check your Android Version
- Go to Settings on your desktop. If there is not a shortcut on your desktop, go to Apps and then Settings.
- In the left hand column, scroll down until you see About device. Tap on About device.
- Check the Android version. If it is 4.1.1 (or any version of 4.1 for that matter), then your tablet is not updated yet. If it is 4.2.2, then your tablet already has the updated version of Android. You can skip ahead to the section about checking what keyboard you have installed. (Page 5)
Download the Android Update
The Android update is quite large and will take over an hour to download on each tablet. You can perform other tasks on the tablet while the download is updating, but to make things easier, please start the download on each tablet at the end of the day before you go home. The update should download overnight and be ready for installation when you arrive the next morning.
- On the same About device page where you checked the version in the section above, tap on Software Version.
- Tap on Check for updates.
- At this point, if you are not logged in to the email@example.com email on your tablet, you will be prompted to login in order to access the Google Play Store. To login to the Google Playstore, type in the password ez1234ez
- Once the download begins, you will see a popup for the Software update, 652.29 MB
Installing the Android Update
Once the update has been downloaded on your tablet, it will take about 15 minutes to install the new version of Android and the new Jelly Bean Keyboard. You will need to do this on all 3 tablets, but the installation can be done concurrently to save time. To install the update, follow these steps:
- Whether you have just downloaded the update or downloaded it overnight, you will get an Upgrade Notification popup on your tablet with the option to Install Later, Install All, and Install.
- Tap on Install All. You will see a popup that your Tablet (Device) will be rebooted. Tap on OK
- It will take a few minutes for the upgrade to install. When the upgrade is complete, your tablet will start and you will see a new home page that probably has more Icons on it than were there before. Additionally, if you had any widgets for weather, etc., they will be reset.
- After installing the Android update, you will still need to download and install the Jelly Bean Keyboard in order for Field Link to work correctly with the new version of Android.
Downloading and Installing the Jelly Bean Keyboard
- Go to Apps and then Play Store. At this point, if you are not logged in to the firstname.lastname@example.org email on your tablet, you will be prompted to login in order to access the Google Play Store. To login to the Google Playstore, type in the password ez1234ez
- Once you are in the Play Store, click the Arrow Down icon in the top right hand corner (next to the magnifying glass icon)
- On the My Apps screen, click Stop in the top left hand corner.
- Then click on the Back arrow on the bottom of the tablet. This will bring you back to the Play Store.
- Tap on the magnifying glass icon in the top right hand corner of the screen. This will open up a search box in the top left hand part of the screen.
- Tap in to the Search Google Play box in the top left hand corner and type in “Jelly Bean Keyboard” and tap the magnifying glass on the keyboard to search.
- When the search results are returned, tap on the Jelly Bean Keyboard.
- Tap on the Install button in the top right hand corner
- This will open up the App Permissions popup. Tap on Accept in the lower right hand corner
- After the Jelly Bean Keyboard has been Installed, you will return to Jelly Bean Keyboard Play Store page. You now need to make the Jelly Bean Keyboard your default keyboard. To do this, tap on Open in the top right hand corner of the screen.
- This will open up the Jelly Bean Keyboard set up page. Tap on Step 1: Enable Jelly Bean Keyboard. If you accidentally navigate somewhere else, you can access the same information by going to Settings->Language and Input.
- Next, tap on OK.
- This will open up the Language and Input settings on your tablet. Tap on the check box to select the Jelly Bean Keyboard
- This will open a popup asking if it is OK to collect and store data to help with predictive text when you are typing. Tap on OK.
- This will open a popup asking you to choose the Input Method. Tap on English (US) Jelly Bean Keyboard, then Tap on Set up input methods.
- Now that the Jelly Bean Keyboard has been installed, you are ready to use the Field Link application again. You will need to recreate the Field Link shortcut on your desktop. To do this, tap on Applications.
- Scroll until you see the field link Icon. Tap and hold your finger on the Field Link Icon until you see your desktop. Use your finger to drag and drop the Field Link icon wherever you want the shortcut on your desktop.